Dr. Dawn, as she prefers to be called, serves the institution with the leadership of the Doctor of Ministry program, providing a quality experience for students, courses, faculty, and expansion of programming. She also serves by leading in the assessment practices, student learning outcomes, and overall assessment for the seminary, serving on multiple committees for HLC (Higher Learning Commission) and working with The Association of Theological Schools. The accreditation review in November 2018 was successful, and the seminary passed with approval of ten more years of accreditation.
Dr. Dawn has good insight into the challenges that students encounter, having faced plenty of challenges along her own academic journey. In high school, a teacher insisted that Dr. Dawn should not go to college, suggesting instead that she choose a trade school to gain skills as she came from a poor family and the teacher didn’t think she was smart enough for an academic future. Dr. Dawn has certainly overcome those discouraging words by earning three degrees, including a doctoral degree in leadership, and excelling in her vocation and giftings. And she has a heart for ATS students, having received her MA in Christian Education from ATS.
She is grateful to have been raised in a church with two female pastors who became her mentors and affirmed her leadership skills. Click here to find her article on Christianity Today. These experiences strengthened Dr. Dawn’s resolve to encourage, teach and enable those stepping outside of the status quo and into God’s calling. She has served in the teaching ministry of the church for 48 years helping others to be formed to the image of Christ. She believes in being a vessel used by God, empowered by the Holy Spirit, so that others might encounter transformation with Christ. And she believes this transformation can be part of higher education. She also travels to local churches mentoring others in the field of Christian Formation and Leadership.
Dr. Dawn serves as Children’s Ministry Leader at her church, Freedom Ridge, Mansfield, Ohio and is Area Team Coordinator of Operation Christmas Child for six Ohio counties, a member of SPCE – Society of Professors in Christian Education, a member of ACCESS – Christian Distance Education, She has traveled to Tanzania, Africa to distribute shoebox gifts in June 2019. She has also been a past President of the Board for Hope For Every Heart, a ministry to build water wells, provide education and medical care, and child sponsorship in Uganda, Africa. She is also an advocate with International Child Care Ministries through the Free Methodist Church and supports four children from Ecuador, Kenya, India, and Cambodia and is the Missions Coordinator at her church. She works with Thailand missionaries bringing hope to a hostel for impoverished children. She also enjoys family genealogy and plays with her three orange tabby cats. She is also an avid reader and writer, researching Christian education and leadership. She is married to Dr. Russell Morton, Professional Fellow of Biblical Studies, Ashland and Adjunct Instructor in online courses for New Testament with another institution.
- I Grew Up with Two Women Pastors, April 25, Gifted for Leadership: Women Called to Ministry. http://www.christianitytoday.com/gifted-for-leadership/2016/april/i-grew-up-with-two women-pastors.html
- The Impact of Mentoring: What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?, The Table, Ashland Theological Seminary, Summer Issue: (2012): 3-5.
- “Adjunct Faculty Embraced: The Responsibility of the Institution,” submitted to Christian Education Journal, Fall (2012): 396-407.
- “Embracing Faith-Learning Integration in Christian Higher Education,” Ashland Theological Journal, 36 (2004): 63-72.
- Women in Church Leadership Roles Bibliography, 2010, for IT500 Introduction to Theological Education course, Ashland Theological Seminary.
- Christian Education Bibliography, 2009, updated 2010, updated 2015, for Christian Formation courses, Ashland Theological Seminary.
- Asian-American Christian Education Bibliography, 2010, updated 2015, for Christian Formation courses, Ashland Theological Seminary.
- African-American Christian Education Bibliography, 2009, updated 2010, updated 2015, for Christian Formation courses, Ashland Theological Seminary.
- February 2, 2015, Are You Called and Devoted to Teaching? http://www.thetableblog.net/news/a-calling-to-teach/. Ashland Theological Seminary Blog
- April 23, 2015, Teaching and Discipleship Through Operation Christmas Child, http://dmorto8.wix.com/dmorton53#!Teaching-and-Discipleship-through-Operation Christmas-Child/c1jol/1
- April 23, 2015, Time to Refresh: Time to Teach, http://dmorto8.wix.com/dmorton53#!Time-to-Refresh-Time-to-Teach/c1jol/2
- “April 29, 2015, Teaching the “Full” Great Commission, http://dmorto8.wix.com/dmorton53#!Teaching-the-Full-Great-Commission/c1jol/55418e930cf21fee13585e66 “
- May 8, 2015, The Teaching Trunk, http://dmorto8.wix.com/dmorton53#!The-Teaching-Trunk/c1jol/554ced110cf24874171cb487
- May 20, 2016, “Run the Race” Includes Women, http://dmorto8.wix.com/dmorton53#!Run-the-Race-Includes-Women/c1jol/573f5e6b0cf2a9c30e5d5f45
- June 23, 2016, “To Do or Not To Do”: That is Always the Question!, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/do-always-question-dr-dawn-morton?trk=prof-post Choosing a DMin Program, ATS Alumni Newsletter, 2016.
- March 16, 2019 Spiritual Leadership, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/spiritual-leadership-dr-dawn-morton/
- Atikinson, Harley T. The Power of Small Groups in Christian Formation. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications, 2018, pages 124-127, Journal of Youth Ministry, Fall 2019, Volume 17, Number 2.
- Plueddemann, James E. Teaching Across Cultures: Contextualizing Education for Global Mission. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2018, pages 127-129, Journal of Youth Ministry, Fall 2019, Volume 17, Number 2.
- Linhart, Terry ed. Teaching the Next Generations: A Comprehensive Guide for Teaching Christian Formation. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic 2016, pages 154-156, Journal of Youth Ministry, Fall 2018, Volume 16, Number 3.
- Maddix, Mark A. and James Riley Estep Jr. Practicing Christian Education: An Introduction for Ministry. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2017, pages 157-159, Journal of Youth Ministry, Fall 2018, Volume 16, Number 3.
- Blom, Rachel. Storify: Speaking to Teenagers in a Post-Christian World, The Journal of Youth Ministry (Fall 2016),
Wetherbee, Katie and Jolene Philo. 2015, Every child welcome: A ministry handbook for including kids with special needs. Grand Rapid, MI: Kregel, Christian Education Journal.
- Koskela, Doug. 2015, Calling and Clarity: Discovery What God Wants for Your Life. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. The Journal of Youth Ministry (Spring 2016), 107-109.
- Seymour, Jack L. 2014. Teaching the way of Jesus: Educating Christians for faithful living. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press.; Seymour, Jack L. 2015. Teaching biblical faith: Leading small group Bible studies. By Jack L. Seymour. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press.; Shortt, John. 2014. Bible-shaped teaching. By John Shortt. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. Three books in a review – Christian Education Journal, Spring 2016.
- DeVries and Nate Stratman. 2014. Building Your Volunteer Team: A 30-Day Change Project for Youth Ministry. Downer’s Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press. – Journal of Youth Ministry – Book Review.
- Watkins, Ralph Basui. 2011. Hip-Hop Redemption: Finding God in the Rhythm and the Rhyme. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. The Journal of Youth Ministry, Volume 13, No. 1. (Fall 2014): 144-145.
- Manby, Joel. 2012. Love Works: Seven Timeless Principle’s for Effective Leaders. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. Christian Education Journal (Spring 2014): 214-218. Wiersbe, Warren W., General Editor. 2009. The Transformation Study Bible, NLT. Colorado Springs, CO: David C. Cook. Christian Education Journal (Spring 2012): 241- 244.
- Aukerman, John H. 2011. Discipleship That Transforms: An Introduction to Christian Education from a Wesleyan Holiness Perspective. Christian Education Journal: The Profession of Teaching Christian Ed (Fall 2012): 430-432.
- Yount, William R. 2010. Created to Learn: A Christian Teacher’s Introduction to Educational Psychology, 2nd edition. Nashville, TN: Broadman and Holman Publishing Group. Christian Education Journal (Fall 2011): 444-446.
- Lindley, Susan Hill and Eleanor J. Stebner, ed. 2008. The Westminster Handbook ot Women in American Religious History. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press. Ashland Theological Journal (2011): 170-172.
- Conde-Frazier, Elizabeth, S. Steve Kang, and Gary A. Parrett. 2004. A Many Colored Kingdom: Multicultural Dynamics for Spiritual Formation. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. Ashland Theological Journal (2010): 151-153.
- Garner, Stephen Chapin. 2008. Getting into Character: The Art of First-Person Narrative Preaching. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. Ashland Theological Journal (2010): 160- 162.
- Borgmann, Albert. 2003. Power Failure: Christianity in the Culture of Technology. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. Ashland Theological Journal (2009):188-190. Briggs, Richard. 2003. Reading the Bible Wisely. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 174-175.
- Garland, David E. and Diana R. Garland. 2007. Flawed Families of the Bible: How God’s Grace Works through Imperfect Relationships. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 193-194.
- Hull, Judith St. Clair. 2006. Strategies for Educating African American Children. Chicago, IL: Urban Ministries. Christian Education Journal (Spring 2009): 145-148. Morgan,
- Robert J. 2003. Evidence and Truth: Foundations for Christian Truth. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 186-187.
- Myers, Joseph R. 2007. Organic Community: Creating a Place Where People Naturally Connect. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 190-191. The GuideOne Center for Risk Management. 2008. The Missing Ministry: Safety, Risk Management, and Protecting Your Church. Loveland, CO: Group. Christian Education Journal (2009): 421-424.
- Walton, John H., Mark L. Strauss, and Ted Cooper, Jr. 2005. The Essential Bible Companion: Key Insights for Reading God’s Word. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 147-148.
- Ward, Pete. 2002. Liquid Church. Peabody, MASS: Hendrickson Publishers. Ashland Theological Journal (2009): 191-192.
Borgman, Dean. 1997. When Kumbaya Is Not Enough: A Practical Theology for Youth Ministry. Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson Publishers. Ashland Theological Journal (2008): 110-111.
- Christenson, Larry. 2005. Answering Your Questions About Speaking in Tongues. Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House. Ashland Theological Journal (2008): 92-93. Jones, L. Gregory and Stephanie Paulsell, eds. 2002. The Scope of Our Art: The Vocation of the Theological Teacher. Grand Rapid, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. Ashland Theological Journal (2008): 111-112.
- Smith, Phil and Eric Thurman. 2007. A Billion Bootstraps: Microcredit, Barefoot Banking, and the Business Solution for Ending Poverty. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education. Christian Education Journal (2008): 473-477.
- Ward, Pete. 1999. God at the Mall: Youth Ministry that Meets Kids Where They’re At. Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson Publishers. Ashland Theological Journal (2008): 114-115.
Christian Education Publications
- “Children’s Drama Segments” for “Celebrate! Children’s Musical: Exploring God’s Creation,” Music by Dr. Ron Sprunger, 2003.
- Doctor of Ministry devotional on Calling, 2020.
- Each New Day: God’s Promises are New Each Morning Devotional by Ashland Theological Seminary, Contributed Day 5: Jesus Christ, the Same, Yesterday, and Forever, Hebrews 13:8, Ashland Theological Seminary, 2015.
- Thirty Days of Thanks Devotional: Day 22: I Thessalonians 5:18. (p. 25). Ashland Theological Seminary, 2014.
- Women at Southern: A Walk Through Psalms, Devotional: The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2010. Contributed one passage.
- Coleman, Wanda, 2015-2016. Taking Off the Makeup: Loving Yourself as God Loves You. Editing book.
- Durkin, Marsha, 2012. Of Sheep or Goats? Edited Bible curriculum.
- Morton, Russell, 2011. Catalog for Words that Changed the World. Ashland, OH: Ashland Theological Seminary.
- Morton, Russell, 2011. A Short History of the Bible in English. Ashland, OH: Ashland Theological Seminary.
- Watson, Joann Ford. 2010. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton, Volume 6: Various Works. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Watson, Joann Ford. 2007. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton: Eighteenth – Century, British-Baptist, Woman Theologian, Volume 5: Miscellaneous Correspondence. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Morton, Russell S. 2007. One Upon the Throne and the Lamb: A Tradition – Historical – Theological Analysis of Revelation 4 – 5. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing. Watson,
- Joann Ford. 2007. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton: Eighteenth – Century, British-Baptist, Woman Theologian, Volume 4: Theological Works. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Watson, Joann Ford. 2006. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton: Eighteenth – Century, British-Baptist, Woman Theologian, Volume 3: Autobiography. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Watson, Joann Ford. 2003. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton: Eighteenth – Century, British-Baptist, Woman Theologian, Volume 2: Discourses, Poetry, Hymns, Memoir. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.
- Watson, Joann Ford. 2003. Selected Spiritual Writings of Anne Dutton: Eighteenth – Century, British-Baptist, Woman Theologian, Volume 1: Letters. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press.